Which documents are required to sell a car?

Selling a car is not an easy thing. You have to collect a lot of papers for this which include personal documents, car documents and various RTO forms.

Which documents are required to sell a car? Know in one click

As soon as you collect the paper, then in the process of transferring the ownership of the car to someone else, you also have to make many rounds. Now let us talk about how you can sell your car on your own and what documents you will need for this:

1. Registration Certificate (RC): 

In the transfer process, the RC or registration certificate of the vehicle is a very important document. All the important things related to the car are written on the RC, so you should also make sure that the information given in it can be read or not and whether the RC is torn or bent from anywhere. Also, make sure that there is no need to make any changes in anything related to your car. For example, if you have installed a CNG kit from the market or made a different colour, then it is important to update these things on your RC. If the RC of your car is lost somewhere, you can apply for a duplicate RC after registering an FIR at the local police station and then going to RTO and filing Form 26 and Submitting it. Please tell that Form 26 can be downloaded through Vahan website - www.vahan.nic.in

2. Insurance: 

In India, no one can sell their car to anyone without valid insurance. In such a situation, you must get the car insured while selling the car. If your car insurance is over, there are two ways to renew it. If you want, get comprehensive insurance so that you can get a good resale value of your car. Or you buy cheap third party insurance that will not give you a good price for your car, but it will be very useful for you during paperwork in RTO.

3. PUC Certificate: 

During the car transfer process, the PUC i.e. Pollution Under Check Certificate is also a very important document. You can find it at many fuel stations. You hardly have to spend 50 to 100 rupees to get this, which is valid for three months according to your vehicle registration.

Keep in mind: The documents we have mentioned above are not only useful in the process of car transfer but also, you must have these documents or copies of them while driving, otherwise, you can be heavily fined by traffic police.

4. Self Attested PAN Card: 

During the process of car transfer, you need to have a copy of self-attested PAN Card for RTO inspection. If you do not have a PAN card, then you must have Form 60 which you can get from RTO itself or download from its website.

5. Self Attested Address Proof: 

In many states of India, it is quite necessary to present address proof when selling a car. In RTO, it is necessary to show during the original address proof inspection, while its self-attested copy is used during the paperwork. For address proof, you can offer the following documents if you want:

Aadhar Card


Ration Card

Voter ID Card

Any document issued by the Government of India.

In some states, documents such as electricity bills, rent agreements are accepted as address proof valid. You have to find out from your local RTO whether they accept these documents or not. Apart from this, address proof is not required to sell cars in some states. For example,  there is no need to present address proof in Mumbai RTO.

6. Self Attested Photo: 

Two passport size photos of the person selling the car are required in RTO paperwork. These are pasted on various form during car transfer. As soon as these photos are posted on the required form, the cross signature is done. In this way, the photographs become self-attested.

7. Form 28: 

To sell a car, the RTO gives clearance to some of the liabilities running on your car. This includes the loan taken by you to purchase the car or any traffic challan. For this, you have to fill three copies of Form 28 and submit them along with your papers to the RTO. In Form 28, your car has a chassis number written in pencil and your car is also required to be present in the RTO premises.

8. Form 29: 

After finishing all the paperwork mentioned above, you have to tell the RTO that you have sold your car to the third party. From here Form 29 comes in handy where you have to fill two copies of it. To complete the process of selling a car with a copy of Form 29, you also have to pay a fee, the cost of which can vary according to different RTOs. If you are thinking that this is the last step to sell a car, this is not the case at all. Now you have to fill one more form and submit it.

9. Form 30: 

you have to fill two copies of Form 30 and submit it to the RTO. Form 30 is a request form in which you tell the RTO that you have transferred the car ownership to the buyer of your vehicle. Actually, in Form 30, you say that your vehicle and all the responsibilities related to it are now the responsibility of the third party. The process takes 14 days to complete. For this also you have to pay some fees.

10. Sales Affidavit: 

Sales Affidavit is prepared in the name of the seller. In this, the price of selling the car to the buyer is mentioned. It also states that the liabilities left on the car will now be the responsibility of the buyer. This document is notarized by the notary public after RC transfer.

So, guys, these are the documents you require to sell your car. 


  1. You have provided valuable data for us. It is great and informative for everyone. Keep posting always. I am very thankful to you. Car Hire Dalaman

  2. Excellent post. I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work.Bmw Transmissions For Sale This concept is a good way to enhance knowledge. Keep sharing this kind of articles, Thank you.

  3. Very well written article. It was an awesome article to read. Read more info about Pre Owned Cars In Bangalore. Complete rich content and fully informative. I totally Loved it.

  4. I just need to say this is a well-informed article which you have shared here about hoodies.truck gps tracker It is an engaging and gainful article for us. Continue imparting this sort of info, Thanks to you.


Powered by Blogger.